Saturday 21 Apr 2018
Season 2017/2018

Location: home | England | Lincolnshire | Gainsborough Sunday Football League | Division 1

Division 1 Official Division

Sporting Club Cup Round 2 - Mattersey 2 Kings Arms 1

Have your say in the fan zone

If you have an opinion, a question or an idea post your comments to our fan zone.
Gossip from the grass roots!

E-mail this story to a friend
Comment on this news story

21 March 2010 | Craig Holland

Mattersey entertained divisional league leaders Kings Arms in the second round of the Sporting Club Cup, in what was a repeat fixture of last week when the same two teams had played out a 0-0 stalemate in the league.......

Mattersey handed a long overdue debut to young striker James Vernon who partnered Adam Parker up front. As expected, this cup tie was evenly contested with neither team dominating. The hosts midfield of Martin Woodhead, Simon Prime, Rob Brewin and Chris Holmes started the game at a high tempo, pressing back the visitors at every opportunity and not allowing their opponents the time or space to get their slick passing game into gear.

Mattersey suffered a minor setback when, within the opening quarter of an hour, Adam Parker had to be replaced due to injury by the big target man Simon Furniss.

Another incident soon after saw player-manager Chris Woodhead collide with goalkeeper Craig Holland and a Kings striker which resulted in Woodhead needing medical treatment for a head injury for several minutes. Fortunately he was able to continue, albeit with a sore head.

Furniss soon proved his worth, when his harassment of the visitors defence forced an error that Vernon got on the end of, to drill the ball home and open the scoring.

With Mattersey enjoying a spell of pressure it was against the run of play that Kings Arms equalised. Their young attacker latched onto a poor clearance before hitting a low shot that took a cruel deflection off Luke Cobbs foot and just crept inside the near post.

The home side shrugged of this minor setback and continued to attack at every opportunity. Their endeavours were rewarded in the dying moments of the first half when a superb passing move involving Brewin and Prime resulted in the latter playing through Vernon who kept his composure to slide the ball past the despairing dive of the Kings Arms keeper.

The second half was just as tight as the first with very few clear cut chances for either side. Matterseys defence of Luke Cobb, Rich Westoby, Kevin Williams and Chris Woodhead managed to keep the Kings Arms strike force very quiet for the remainder of the game. As the visitors threw more players forward in a desperate attempt to find an equaliser, Mattersey absorbed the pressure and looked to counter attack when they could.

In the final minutes both Vernon and Prime had opportunities to kill the game off but could not find the target. However, Kings Arms also had no joy in producing an equaliser and it was the home team whos name goes into the hat for the next round.

Matterseys Man of the Match two goal debutant James Vernon

What is Soccer Weekend?

For football fans and players of all ages. Your team's FREE online fanzine, where you write the stories and you make the headlines.
Support and promote your team!

Division 1 news

Sun Inn Wheatley 2 Vine Inn 2

Vine Inn Results Round Up

Vine Inn 2 Friendship Old Boys 0

Mattersey FC 1 Vine Inn 1