Tuesday 24 Apr 2018
Season 2010/2011

Location: home | England | Kent | ashford and district saturday football league | Premiership | Riverside Inn FC

Riverside Inn FC

Controversy Reigns!!

Have your say in the fan zone

If you have an opinion, a question or an idea post your comments to our fan zone.
Gossip from the grass roots!

E-mail this story to a friend
Comment on this news story

12 April 2010 | Twinkletoes82

Woodchurch jump in to 2nd.

Riverside Inn FC fell out of the top two for the first time this season after going down 2-1 to Woodchurch in what proved to be an exciting but controversial weekend of football.

The home side set out well creating pressure high up the pitch putting Woodchurch on the defensive from kick off. Wingers Adam Mansfield & Richard Long put several decent balls in the Woodchurch area but Riverside failed to captilise on them. Gary Swift nearly opened the scoring inside 5 minutes after he finished a brilliant solo run with a firm twenty yard strike but the Woodchurch Goalkeeper was equal to the effort. Then with just 10 minutes played disaster struck for the home side when a Woodchurch long throw found its way in to the 6 yard box only to ricochet off helpless Riverside Inn Defender Neil Cheesman and bounce passed stand in Goalkeeper Andy Ward giving Woodchurch an 1-0 advantage very much against the run of play. The home side rallyed knowing that 3 points was the order of the day with Winger Gary Swift in particular leading the charge for the Riverside in his best performance of the season so far which also earned him the Man of the Match award. Woodchurch forward Rhys Pryor thought he had made it 2-0 with an excellent 20 yard chip over the Riverside Inn Goalkeeper but his strike was ruled out after being deemed offside the controversy began here as Woodchurch felt the goal should have stood, minutes later during a scramble in the Woodchurch penalty area Riverside Inn where denied a penalty after a shot from Chris Clements struck a Woodchurch defender on the hand and went wide for a corner. Both sides continued to battle all over the pitch and the half ended 1-0 to Woodchurch.

The away side then struck what was to the be the killer below 10 minutes after the restart Woodchurch youngster Craig Pierce scored the goal of the game with a superb 25 yard volley that would have beaten any goalkeeper. Riverside Inn Skipper Guy Farmer gave his side a lifeline on 60 minutes when the superb Gary Swift delivered a dangerous cross from the right hand side which the Away sides defence failed to deal with leaving Farmer a close range finish to make the game 2-1 with 30 minutes to play. Rhys Pryor & Matt Gomez both went clsoe to replying for Woodchurch but Riversides back up Goalkeeper Andy Ward pulled off several excellent saves to keep them out and his side in.

From then on it was one way traffic with the Riverside camping themselves inside the Woodchurch half for the remainder of the game, Left Back Jason Booth almost made it 2-2 after a strong run down the left hand side was finished off with a long range shot from an acute angle that just went over the crossbar. Booth again created a chance but this time with an excellent depe cross from the wide left area which just beat the Midfield pair of Chris Clements & Stuart Kingsnorth at the far post leaving them agonisingly close to an equaliser. Adam Mansfield then had a chance to restore parity when the ball broke to him on the penalty spot he had time to pick his spot but rather rushed his shot and the Woodchurch Goalkeeper made a comfortable save. Chances soon feel thick and fast with the home side throwing everything at Woodchurch but they couldnt get the break through they deserved. With 5 minutes left Jason Booth struck a shot from wide right of the Woodchurch box which again was blocked by a Woodchurch hand in the penalty area but Referee Gary Griffin again waved away Riverside protests much to their anger.

The final whistle blew with the score at 2-1 meaning Woodchurch jumped in to 2nd place by 1 point but with no more games left to play. Riverside were dealt another blow after the game on hearing that AFC Ocean Reserves failed to field a side against title rivals Ashford ISC meaning that Ashford will be awarded a home win and 3 points putting them 5 points clear of Riverside Inn. With both teams having to play Ruckinge Utd who themselves caused a massive upset beating Premier League Leaders Rolvenden 6-2 in the League Cup and Ashford & Riverside Inn set to clash at Sandyacres on May 8th in the last game of the season the title is still yet to be decided and there could well prove to be more twists before the season is through.

What is Soccer Weekend?

For football fans and players of all ages. Your team's FREE online fanzine, where you write the stories and you make the headlines.
Support and promote your team!

Riverside Inn FC news

Title Race Blown Wide Open

Snow Stopping Them....

Lucky 13

Out For The Season