Friday 20 Apr 2018
Season 2011/2012

Location: home | England | Birmingham | Birmingham and District Amateur Football League | Division 5 | Old Wulfrunians D

Old Wulfrunians D

Below Par Wulfs Dumped Out At The First Hurdle

Have your say in the fan zone

If you have an opinion, a question or an idea post your comments to our fan zone.
Gossip from the grass roots!

E-mail this story to a friend
Comment on this news story

18 October 2010 | maxwoodhouse

Old Wulfs vs Sutton Utd F

Old Wulfrunians welcomed Sutton United F to the Old Memorial Ground for a first round Holder Cup clash on Saturday. Old Wulfs went into the game full of confidence after their demolition of Sutton E the previous week. Carl Collins was unavailable and Jason Hill had to settle for a place on the bench due to injury. Ian Phillips and Craig Bigford came into the side.
Wulfs started the better side passing the ball around confidently but Sutton looked dangerous going forward when they played the long ball over the top. The first chance fell Old Wulfs way when Merrick found himself in a good position only to be denied by a good save from the keeper. Dann was having some joy on the right hand side and was unlucky when his low ball into the box was turned away before Merrick could pounce. Sutton tested Woodhouse in the Wulfs goal when a mistake at the back let their forward in to the right side and his shot was deflected and stopped by the foot of Woodhouse. Wulfs then took the lead after some fantastic work from Merrick and Prosser. Two clever one twos left Merrick in on the keeper and he finished emphatically into the corner. Wulfs werent having their best game with a distinct lack of composure in the middle of the park leading to a series of stray passes. Merrick was again having a great game but his superb running wasnt gifted with quality from the midfield. Even so, Wulfs looked comfortable in this game until a minute from half time. A corner to Sutton was inexplicably allowed to run across the six yard box for the Sutton striker to poke home unmarked. A poor goal to concede for any side.
Wulfs had obviously had a roasting at half time and again came out playing the better football. Adam Turner was powering his way into the match but was taken out of the game in a moment that could have changed the match. After beating his man on the left had side he whipped a fantastic left foot cross into the box only to be scythed down a good two seconds after the ball had gone. Not only did the referee fail to send the player off but he also failed to see the incident completely and allowed play to continue. Turner was carried off and subsequently ended up in hospital. It is likely he will be out for three weeks. Hill came on to replace Turner but moments later it went from bad to worse for Old Wulfs when a counter attack from Sutton ended with a driven header into the bottom corner to give the away side the advantage. It was hardly deserved but Old Wulfs hit back instantly with a fantastic move straight from the kick off. Paul Dann found himself with time on the right hand side and he drove the ball across goal for Merrick to tap in at the back post. Wulfs heads were finally up and they looked to be the better side. Tom Watson had a great chance to put the home side ahead but his side footed shot was tame and cleared off the line. Moments later the referee once again had a big hand in changing the course of the match. With Wulfs in control and the game heading only one way, the referee gave a penalty too Sutton after Godwin was alleged to have blocked the ball with his hand. A shocking decision considering Godwin wasnt even facing the play. Woodhouse guessed the right way and saved the penalty but he couldnt react quick enough to stop the rebound from being tapped in. Wulfs were on the brink of elimination at the first hurdle. They continued to push forward with Prosser having a good header stopped on the line. Merrick once more went close with a volley over the bar. But Sutton drilled the final nail into the coffin with a wonder goal. With the ball bouncing forty yards from goal the Sutton midfielder hammered it high and with dip and the ball flew into the top corner with Woodhouse nowhere. It was a harsh lesson for Wulfs and even though they had deserved better based on the balance of play, they had been poor all game and played within themselves. Wulfs fought back and Merrick tried to single handedly drag them back into the game with some great running in the channels. He teed up Watson with a cross but it was too high for him to head home. Another ball into the box found Prosser who headed low but the keeper dragged it off the line after originally fumbling. Merrick did earn Wulfs a penalty with five minutes left and Marston made no mistake hammering low into the corner but with Wulfs desperate they began playing the ball long and high in hope of an equaliser that was never to come. Finally the referee blew the whistle and Sutton cheered a memorable victory. But Old Wulfs will rue this opportunity after falling at the first hurdle in a trophy they should have gone on to win.

Final Score
Old Wulfruninans 3 Sutton United 4

Man of the Match - Nick Merrick

What is Soccer Weekend?

For football fans and players of all ages. Your team's FREE online fanzine, where you write the stories and you make the headlines.
Support and promote your team!

Old Wulfrunians D news

Confident Wulfs Into Last 16

Hill Out For Four Weeks

A Game Of Two Halfs

Jeffs Cup Draw